Stephen Hawking dies at 76 8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018

Go down

Stephen Hawking dies at 76 8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018

Post by redpill on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Wed Mar 14, 2018

today i wake up in the morning click on the news and i find

Stephen Hawking dies at 76

plenty of scientists and physicists have written about Stephen Hawking and his accomplishments in general relativity singularity theorem, black hole entropy, black hole information paradox, string theory

you probably would not guess from reading this blog, but esp in high school i was infatuated with cutting edge physics. In high school, I actually took AP physics and Calcus BC and Chemistry, where quantum mechanics and relativity was discussed.

I read Stephen Hawking “A Brief History of Time”

I've always been infatuated then and now with the idea of time travel.

We can always travel through space. From walking to the mail box to traveling around the world, to distant locations.

What about traveling in time, esp traveling in time backward.

As a kid I saw Back to the Future, Orson Wells Time Machine with the Elois and Morlocks,
and Terminator, Star Trek with the whale, to X-men, bishop and cable travel back in time to stop one another and Apocalypse.

I saw Stephen Hawking along with Einstein and Newton and Data on Star Trek TNG, and I also saw the episode where Lisa Simpson joins Mensa and meets Hawking.

I've wondered about the nature of time and physics of time.

In philosophy, McTaggart was famous for formulating A-time and B-time and concluded time is neither so time does not exist. Time is unreal.

Reminds me of Star Trek whale movie where Mr. Spoke was asked about Kirchoff's first law of metaphysics, Nothing unreal exists.

This is philosophy. In Physics of time starts with Einstein and both his special theory of relativity and general theory of relativity, one conclusion is that the rate of time can slow depending on the speed or strength of the gravitational field. The most advance theory known in physics is string theory, and I've seen both documentaries and read books by Briane Greene Michio Kaku, and Stephen Hawking, all on youtube.

I've read about string theory how in attempts to combine quantum mechanics with Einstein's theory of general relativity, by postulating strings that vibrate in 10 dimensions and govern by a special kind of symmetry called supersymmetry. There are 5 versions of string theory related by dualities and by M-theory. I don't work on string theory, there are physics blogs dedicated to string theory.

In Dungeons and Dragons there is a distinction between clerics who pray to the gods to gain access through prayer to divine healing powers, and wizards who study magic from books. Clerics require a high wisdom score, magicians in contrast require a high intelligence. It takes a high intelligence to master magic spells. Wisdom in D&D represents one's attunement to religious matters, intelligence shows a capability to learn magic, which is analogous in our world to science.

Sadly while I can master calculus and AP physics and chemistry, the content of theoretical physics and string theory is beyond my comprehension.
These theoretical physicists are super smart and seem almost like wizards and magicians.
I do from time to time read about books and watch documentaries on string theory, big bang, inflation theory, super symmetry, the higgs boson, etc

Learning about the big bang and these math equations.

I do spend my time thinking how awesome time travel could be, and all the applications of time travel. It's entirely possible later today or next week or next year i die, from car accidents, murder, robbery, cardiac arrest, brain aneurysm or meningitis or sepsis. or an unknown virus

Not now, but when i was a teen i read the bible and i thought about how this big bang theory can be combined with the bible, and specifically Genesis. In the beginning god said let there be light and Stephen Hawking said the big bang was how the universe originated. A perfect marriage between God, who was there at the beginning, and Stephen Hawking.

I've since learned Hawking is actually an atheist, and that evolution does contradict the bible.

I've become convinced that physicists esp physicists who work on string theory like Edward Witten are the worlds most intelligent people.

Stephen Hawking in an earlier interview was asked if he believed in God and he said "yes". Physics represents the mind of God.

I've also wondered if these physicists have anything to say about the soul and the afterlife. How can I go to heaven, according them?

Well this is Stephan Hawking on the afterlife

Legendary physicist Stephen Hawking lived for decades with the prospect of death hanging over his head, but unlike the rest of us, he never worried about what's next.

Hawking, who died at 76, spoke candidly in a 2011 Guardian interview about what he believes happens when people die. He told the Guardian that while he "wasn't afraid of death," he was in no hurry to die.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail," he said. "There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

It should come as no surprise that Hawking was not religious. In Hawking's 2010 book, The Grand Design, Hawking said a creator is "not necessary" in the narrative of how the world was created.

The 76-year-old was confined to a wheelchair by a form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s Disease, a neurological disease that impacts movement. He communicated via a speech synthesizer. Hawking was diagnosed with ALS at 21.

For years, Hawking has warned that humankind faces extinction from a slew of threats ranging from climate change to destruction from nuclear war and genetically engineered viruses. Hawking recently estimated that humans have 100 years left on Earth — if we’re lucky.

so this physicist answer to what happens when we die

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail," he said. "There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

What a Face

Stephen Hawking was an atheist as are some of the smartest who work on string theory like Edward Witten. They use God as a metaphor for the law of physics. When Hawking said he believed in God, he defined God as the laws of the universe. Obviously in the West God is the entity who wrote the bible and has a son named Jesus Christ. the God in the bible never says he is the laws of the universe as described by physics.

Is the God of the physicist the God of abraham the god of isaac, the god of jacob?

I find it surprising that they work on some of the most difficult mathematics imaginable in deciphering the laws of the cosmos, akin to what the Voynich manuscript is for cryptographers and linguists, but they don't believe some hidden intelligence is responsible for these incomprehensible equations.

If they don't believe in God then perhaps I shouldn't either.

I'm not smart enough to understand physics at this level, and what interests me is the afterlife and time travel, neither of which physics offers any hope. For time travel, i need a black hole, which is a pretty lethal encounter. Also in short supply here on planet earth.

Stephen Hawking dies at 76 with no believe in heaven or the after life, no belief in Jesus saving grace and resurrection, no belief in God. He thinks that like a broken computer it's all over. What a Face

so all the white flowers i've read about who died are like broken down computers. Atheist blogger Marshall Brain says as much in whydoesntgodhealamputees, comparing human life to mosquitoes. Mosquitoes have no afterlife and neither do humans.

Neutral

Stephen Hawking is dead bc like a computer whose components have failed, his brain has stopped working.

when he says

For years, Hawking has warned that humankind faces extinction from a slew of threats ranging from climate change to destruction from nuclear war and genetically engineered viruses. Hawking recently estimated that humans have 100 years left on Earth — if we’re lucky.

he reminds me of a doomsday prepper. there was a documentary series and blogs and forums devoted to doomsday prepping. and fundamentalist christian who believes satan is out and about and the end times as described in the book of Revelation is nigh. Vikings believed in Ragnarok.

I've since learned a lot of physics, including string theory, is actually speculation, not grounded in experiment. So I spent my time reading about string theory and now I know there is no experimental evidence for it. One prediction is the hope the LHC would find superparticles, the superpartners of known particles of the standard model. Thus far LHC has not. Ultimately string theory doesn't allow me time travel backwards in time or survive my death so I moved on from that topic.

I have read books so I know of string theory, but since there is no experimental validation of the super symmetry, I don't have a whole of reason to talk about it, except in context of UFO. And there are string theorists who have actual phD and do actual research who blogs who talk about this. I can say what I read in a book, such as Brian Greene's elegant universe and Michio Kaku hyperspace, but I don't have any actual knowledge of the subject.

- In string theory there are more dimensions than the 3 we know of - height width breath - string theory mathematics requires there are 10-11 total including time.

In theory a UFO could travel through the higher dimensions and travel faster than the speed of light, in theory. Esp if those dimensions are large extra dimensions and we are stuck on this
"brane". String theory also posits we live in a multiverse, an infinite number of other alternative universes, where the laws of physics, gravity electromagnetism differ from our own. Perhaps it might be possible to travel from one universe to another through a wormhole.

reference

Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension Paperback – February 1, 1995 by Michio Kaku (Author)

I'm not saying string theorists personally believe in UFO's, only that string theory allows for this. String theorists Harvard educated Michio Kaku actually discusses it in some of his popular books.
I actually do plan to return to UFO and bigfoot. assuming I don't die prematurely.

I do watch thought provoking documentaries such as Through the Wormhole and How the Universe Works. I wish i could hop on a UFO and travel to Mars and Venus, then Jupiter Europa, then distant stars, galaxies, nebulas, black holes. alive. then time travel back to Earth again, but having seen the entire universe. all the stars, other planets, other inhabitants of other planets. magnetars quasars.

while I suspect this is far beyond any RDI comprehension, to be fair I only read books, I don't have a phD in this subject. forensic science and the scientific examination of documents is clearly far beyond any RDI comprehension.
I am sad Stephen Hawking has passed away and as a nerd who loved 90s Star Trek (time between ROTJ and TPM) and build my own computers, I am thankful for having conversations like time travel and quantum mechanics and string theory.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum