The Unsolved Murder of JonBenet Ramsey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New round of Ramsey DNA tests William C. Thompson and the Daubert Standard

2 posters

Go down

New round of Ramsey DNA tests  William C. Thompson and the Daubert Standard Empty New round of Ramsey DNA tests William C. Thompson and the Daubert Standard

Post by redpill Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Tue Jul 03, 2018

in the news i just learned

New round of Ramsey DNA tests completed

A renewed wave of DNA testing in the JonBenet Ramsey case has been completed and although investigators are not talking about what was learned, further forensic examination of evidence in the case could still be on tap.

Newly elected Boulder County District Attorney Michael Dougherty, in his first extensive comments about the infamous unsolved 1996 Boulder homicide, was candid about the fact that, having been appointed to the office this spring after the mid-term resignation of his predecessor, he has not yet been fully briefed on the case.

"Since taking office on March first I have had nearly zero contact with the Ramsey case. It's in the possession of, and under investigation by, the Boulder Police Department," he said, adding that "Not a day goes by that I don't get a call, email or inquiry about Ramsey. All of those I respond to, but all those are then directed to the Boulder Police Department."

He does, however, anticipate a full briefing at a future date.

Daugherty won a primary battle Tuesday as the Democratic candidate to complete the third term of Stan Garnett, who resigned earlier this year to return to private practice at the Denver firm where he had worked before taking office in January 2009. Because Daugherty faces no Republican opponent this fall, he will be the county's top prosecutor at least through 2020.

A joint investigation by the Daily Camera and 9News, published in October 2016, revealed for the first time that, according to several independent experts contacted by the news organizations, DNA evidence that had been cited by then-District Attorney Mary Lacy as a basis to issue an exoneration of Ramsey family members in July 2008 did not, in their opinions, support her actions.

ref http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_31978411/boulder-da-new-round-ramsey-dna-tests-completed

certainly these additional DNA tests are welcome,

daily camera and 9news reported in an earlier article

It's certainly possible that an intruder was responsible for the murder, but I don't think that the DNA evidence proves it," said William C. Thompson, a professor in the Department of Criminology, Law and Society

daily camera and 9news represented in their news article that William C. Thompson, a professor in the Department of Criminology, Law and Society conclusions that the DNA on Jonbenet is a composite of 2 or more individuals, that the original report does not say it matches DNA on the long johns, and that Mary Lacy may engage in congitive bias

his conclusions contradicts the conclusions of Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky

let's look at William C. Thompson credentials

William C. Thompson, a professor in the Department of Criminology, Law and Society

http://faculty.sites.uci.edu/wthompson/

William C. Thompson

Professor Emeritus of Criminology, Law, and Society; Psychology and Social Behavior; and Law

Ph.D. Stanford University, J.D. University of California, Berkeley
(949) 824-6156
william.thompson@uci.edu
2355 Social Ecology II
Department:
Criminology, Law and Society

Specializations:
forensic science; expert evidence; human judgment and decision making

Curriculum Vitae

I am interested in human factors associated with forensic science evidence, including contextual and cognitive bias in forensic analysis and the commuication of scientific findings to lawyers and juries. I have written about strengths and limitations of various types of forensic science evidence, particularly DNA evidence, and about the ability of lay juries to evaluate evidence. My work is multidisciplinary, it involves law, psychology, various areas of biology (particularly genetics and molecular biology), and statistics.

Copies of some recent publication can be found on my SSRN Author Page.

clicking on his cv

http://faculty.sites.uci.edu/wthompson/files/2018/04/ThompsonVita-April-2018.pdf

his phD is in psychology, not molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology or genetics

so unless he is quoting someone who has done research on these topics,

his conclusions do not pass the daubert standard

his research is in the psychology of interpreting evidence, not in actual DNA analysis itself

the daily camera boulder article quotes him as making these conclusions on the DNA, as being a composite, but he's not actually qualified in DNA analysis, only the psychology factors

compare with

Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky

Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky is a renowned forensic scientist and an expert in DNA analysis. He is the Chairman of the Science Department at the John Jay

Education

Post-Doc - Sloan Kettering Institute for Research
(Complement and Effector Biology Laboratory)
1977 PhD - The Graduate Center of the City University of New York
(Biology)
1971 MA - City College of New York (Biology)
1969 BS - City College of New York (Biology)
Bio

My research interests focus on developing sensitive methods of human identification using polymerase chain reaction methodology. My lab has developed methods to conduct RFLP of VNTRs, and PCR of Short Tandam Repeats (STRs). We have been working on high sensitivity methods to study low copy number DNA (less than 100 picograms) extracted from biological evidence. Developing a better scientific approach to crime scene investigation is also an interest. Counseling defense attorneys and prosecutors about DNA technology is underway. We are also helping laboratories in other countries develop the skills and knowledge to conduct reliable DNA analysis. I have worked with lab personnel from China, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Brazil, and others to improve their systems of criminal justice, especially where forensic science needs improvement.
Download C.V.

ref https://www.jjay.cuny.edu/faculty/lawrence-kobilinsky

under Daubert standard,

William C. Thompson phD in psychology and his law degree does not qualify William C. Thompson to comment on DNA laboratory findings. he has done no graduate level training in DNA science

Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky phD in molecular biology and genetics, with emphasis on DNA science does qualify him to comment as to the significance of DNA found on Jonbenet's clothing

daily camera and 9news are misrepresenting William C. Thompson phD in psychology as an expert in DNA forensic analysis, and is not supported by someone with actual expertise in DNA forensic analysis. Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky phD

Back to top Go down

New round of Ramsey DNA tests  William C. Thompson and the Daubert Standard Empty Re: New round of Ramsey DNA tests William C. Thompson and the Daubert Standard

Post by MurderMysteryReader Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:10 pm

I was wondering if there was any news and tried searching for any the other day. This did not come up in my search, so it must not have been released yet. I really hope that the investigation will go in another direction away from John and Burke, since I feel that, that would not be a good idea. I feel that it enabled the real killer to get away. It would seem though, that, the exoneration will not stick; and that John and Burke can again look forward to more questioning. Possibly being interrogated. I wonder when JonBenet's body will be exuded, if it hasn't been already.

Back to top Go down

New round of Ramsey DNA tests  William C. Thompson and the Daubert Standard Empty Re: New round of Ramsey DNA tests William C. Thompson and the Daubert Standard

Post by redpill Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 pm

MurderMysteryReader wrote:I was wondering if there was any news and tried searching for any the other day. This did not come up in my search, so it must not have been released yet. I really hope that the investigation will go in another direction away from John and Burke, since I feel that, that would not be a good idea. I feel that it enabled the real killer to get away. It would seem though, that, the exoneration will not stick; and that John and Burke can again look forward to more questioning. Possibly being interrogated. I wonder when JonBenet's body will be exuded, if it hasn't been already.

the news says that they finished another round of DNA testing, CBI that is, using DNA testing of 2017, but those results have not yet been reported.

certainly relevant.

Back to top Go down

Post by MurderMysteryReader Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:05 pm

redpill wrote:
MurderMysteryReader wrote:I was wondering if there was any news and tried searching for any the other day. This did not come up in my search, so it must not have been released yet. I really hope that the investigation will go in another direction away from John and Burke, since I feel that, that would not be a good idea. I feel that it enabled the real killer to get away. It would seem though, that, the exoneration will not stick; and that John and Burke can again look forward to more questioning. Possibly being interrogated. I wonder when JonBenet's body will be exuded, if it hasn't been already.

the news says that they finished another round of DNA testing, CBI that is, using DNA testing of 2017, but those results have not yet been reported.

certainly relevant.

I would not have expected the results to be released, since it is still an on-going investigation. I can just see the direction the case can go in now, especially since the independent experts do not think Mary Lacey should have exonerated the Ramsey's based on the DNA results then. I hope there is more news later. There is so little now compared to the news after death of JonBenet Ramsey.
MurderMysteryReader
MurderMysteryReader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down