29-year-old Allison Warmuth dies after being struck by a duck boat

Go down

29-year-old Allison Warmuth dies after being struck by a duck boat

Post by redpill on Sun May 01, 2016 9:59 pm

What a Face


By Jan Ransom Globe Staff May 01, 2016

Allison Warmuth loved her red moped. It was her favorite way to get around Boston, and she had only recently gotten it out of the shop when she picked a friend up for brunch Saturday morning — eager to take a ride and enjoy the spring weather.

Her parents had worried about Warmuth’s safety on the small vehicle amid the city’s hectic traffic and had even given her a bright yellow biking jacket to increase her visibility. Now loved ones are wondering whether the garment could have prevented the crash that claimed her life.

The victim’s parents spoke as Boston police continued to investigate the crash, which happened around 11:30 a.m. at the intersection of Beacon and Charles streets. Her friend, a 32-year-old man, was not seriously injured. The duck boat driver has not been charged.

Police have not identified any of the people involved in the crash, but Warmuth’s parents confirmed that she was the victim.

“We were in shock,” Ivan Warmuth said. The parents are wondering how the amphibious vehicle’s driver could have failed to see his daughter. “We have all kinds of questions about what happened.”

One of three daughters, Warmuth moved to Boston aboutfive years ago after she landed a job with Lexington Insurance Company, where she was a senior underwriter for hospitals and large medical practices, her father said.

She started the job at 22 after she completed an intership during her junior year at Messiah College, a Christian school in Pennsylvania. At work, she traveled to various facilities and wrote multimillion-dollar policies for hospitals, Ivan Warmuth said.

“She thought she had one of the greatest jobs in the world,” he added. “She felt like she was in a field that was an unknown gem.”

A spokesman for Lexington’s parent company, American International Group, said in a statement that the company’s “thoughts and deepest sympathies are with Allison’s family and all who were closest to her.”

“We are deeply saddened by the passing of our colleague,’’ the statement said.

While juggling work, Warmuth studied for her business school entrance exams and took them a month ago, her parents said. She celebrated the achievement with a dinner at Per Se, an upscale New American and French restaurant in New York City.
Boston, MA - 5/1/2016 - A box of flowers sat at the scene of yesterday's fatal crash involving a duck boat and a woman riding a scooter in Boston, MA May 1, 2016. Topic: Reporter:

Jessica Rinaldi/Globe Staff

A box of flowers sat at the scene of Saturday's fatal crash involving a duck boat and a woman riding a scooter in Boston.

Warmuth had planned to apply to business schools and was set to accept a promotion with Lexington in Chicago, her parents said.

Martha Warmuth said she had recently sent Allison a message that said: “I’m so proud of you.

“She was an incredible person,” she said. “She could do just about anything. I would think, ‘that’s impossible’ and she would accomplish it. She was really determined.”

Born and raised in Ohio, she also lived in Quebec City and Plattsburgh, N.Y.

She grew up cliff jumping in the Adirondack Mountains, her father said. And in 2014 for his 60th birthday, he and his daughter went skydiving at Jumptown in Orange.

Martha Warmuth said her daughter had also dreamed of becoming a contestant on a “Survivor”-style reality show.

“She was an amazing daughter,” Ivan Warmuth said, his voice cracking during a phone call from Hawaii, where he and Martha had been visiting. The couple live in Plattsburgh.

Allison also volunteered at the Women’s Lunch Place, a shelter for women and children in the Back Bay.


The duck boat Penelope Pru was stopped at a red light on Charles Street waiting to head up Beacon Hill with a load of tourists on board. Just ahead, also waiting to turn, was a motor scooter with two riders out to enjoy the crisp spring morning.

It was a familiar Boston scene. Then the light, and everything, changed.

“The duck boat just took off and actually went into the back of the people on the scooter,” said Graham Foster, recounting the scene that unfolded before him around 11:30 a.m.

The scooter operator tried to accelerate, Foster said, but could not get out of the duck boat’s way in time. He said witnesses yelled at the duck boat operator and tried to alert him.

“The [scooter] flipped on the side and the next thing you know [the duck boat] ran right over [the scooter],” Foster said.

When the duck boat finally came to a stop, the 29-year-old woman operating the scooter and the man riding with her were on the ground behind the magenta amphibious vessel.

The woman was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital, where she died, Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said. The man was not seriously injured; both were wearing helmets, he said.

“It looks like a terrible tragedy,” Evans said.

The crash led to a daylong investigation that unfolded as thousands came across the gruesome scene. The scooter was crushed under the driver’s side front wheel of one of the vehicles that give tours and have become synonymous with parades for the city’s championship-winning sports teams.

Foster, who lives in Norton, said the man and woman were not moving after falling to the ground.

The duck boat operator stopped the vehicle, he said.

“He realized he had run over something and stopped and was getting off the bus in a panic,” Foster said. “It was very horrible.”

Evans said none of the 26 to 28 people aboard the duck boat was injured.

Boston police loaded the passengers onto a second duck boat and escorted them to police headquarters to be interviewed, Evans said. The driver was also taken from the scene for questioning, he said.

The collision occurred near a city-owned surveillance camera. Officer Rachel McGuire, a Boston police spokeswoman, said investigators are reviewing surveillance footage.

“We’ll have to determine whether criminal charges have to be taken out against the operator,” Evans said.

The names of the victim and the duck boat operator were not released Saturday.

Bob Schwartz, director of marketing and sales for Boston Duck Tours, said the driver “has been with the company for years and has a great safety record.”

Another witness, Jay Beausang, said he was planting a tree at the intersection of Beacon and Charles streets when he saw a person tumble from a scooter and land. Scraping sounds followed, he said.

“A body popped out the back of the duck boat,” said Beausang, the owner of Westwood Nurseries. “I ran over. I got on my knees, held her wrist for a pulse.”

Boston Police Sergeant Brian Waters, who was working a detail nearby, also rushed to the woman’s side, telling her again and again, “We’re going to help you,” Beausang said.

The woman tried to talk but was unable to speak, he said. She was not bleeding, Beausang said, but looked like a “rag doll.” He said the man who was also on the scooter told the woman she was going to be OK.

“I didn’t say anything,” said Beausang, who lives in Norfolk. “I just held onto her wrist, felt her pulse fade away.”

Beausang said he was interviewed by Boston police, who told him the man and woman were on their first date. McGuire said she could not confirm that account.

Beacon Hill resident Morgan Ralph said passengers aboard the duck boat appeared stunned as they watched rescuers perform CPR.

“They were all sort of huddled in the back of the duck boat peering down,” said Ralph, who was out shopping when he witnessed the aftermath of the crash.

A section of Beacon Street was closed until about 5:30 p.m. For hours, a pair of women’s shoes and two helmets sat in the street, one behind the duck boat and the other next to the vehicle.

Officers put evidence markers down and placed items in paper bags.

Before an ambulance took the woman away, Ralph said he saw a man standing in the street watching rescuers trying to help her.

“He was looking down, sort of emotionless, blank, sort of shocked,” Ralph said.

He was holding a helmet.

As dusk fell at the crash site, a friend of the victim’s stood next to a box of flowers he purchased to honor the woman.

apparently the driver of the duck boat couldn't see the tiny moped in front.

note to self - do not drive moped around duck boats. mopeds are not especially safe to drive in. mopeds are popular in cities tho', and esp in asia.
No No No No

If you only knew the POWER of the Daubert side

Posts : 2285
Join date : 2012-12-08

Back to top Go down

Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum