The Unsolved Murder of JonBenet Ramsey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alzheimer's drugs still in pipeline 2024 Biogen's Aducanumab :(

Go down

Alzheimer's drugs still in pipeline 2024 Biogen's Aducanumab :( Empty Alzheimer's drugs still in pipeline 2024 Biogen's Aducanumab :(

Post by redpill Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:33 pm

Sun Mar 31, 2019

Biogen's Aducanumab has failed its clinical 3 trials.

I still am interested in Biogen's Aducanumab

this article,

3 Leading Alzheimer's Disease Drugs in Development After Biogen's Aducanumab Flop

lists 3

1. AVP-786
2. AXS-05
3. AMG520

3. AMG520

With aducanumab's failure and other clinical setbacks over the last couple of years, there are very few drugs in late-stage development that seek to treat or prevent Alzheimer's disease itself rather than complications from the disease. One of them is AMG520 (also known as CNP520), which is being developed by Amgen in collaboration with Novartis.

AMG520 inhibits the beta-site amyloid precursor protein cleaving enzyme-1 (BACE1). The BACE1 enzyme is key in the development of amyloid beta, prices of protein that clump together and over time lead to a buildup of amyloid plaque in the brain. Drugmakers have thought that BACE1 inhibitors could prevent the accumulation of amyloid plaque and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease.

So far, though, quite a few BACE1 inhibitors have stumbled in clinical testing. Amgen and Novartis hope that AMG520 will be an exception. It will take a while before we find out if the experimental drug will succeed where others have failed, though: The phase 3 study of AMG520 isn't scheduled to complete until 2024.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/3-leading-alzheimer-apos-disease-160000882.html

2024, plus 1-2 years for FDA approval,

I doubt my mom will still be alive by 2026 even if this drug succeeds Sad

Tough odds

Unfortunately, the odds of success in developing drugs to treat Alzheimer's disease aren't very good. Between 1998 and 2017, 146 drugs that targeted Alzheimer's disease flopped. During that period, only four Alzheimer's disease drugs won approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The good news is that experimental drugs such as AVP-786 and AXS-05 hold promise in treating agitation related to Alzheimer's disease dementia. And the failures should help researchers learn more about the disease. However, as Biogen's recent disappointment for aducanumab shows, investors contemplating betting that a drugmaker will succeed with an experimental Alzheimer's disease drug should exercise caution.

my mother is taking aricept and namanda, generic, which is very cheap, but I doubt they don't seem to do a whole lot. I wouldn't be happy to have paid the brand name coprice for this, for the benefits they deliver, and enter the donut hole for prescription medication. i don't think they offer much benefits, but if they prevent further deterioration that is worth it. now they are generic they dont cost much and I do not believe they and the other generics will result in the donut hole.

right now i know that exercise can help and social engagement, and I test her memory every day.

I saw the article on green tea and carrots, and I am thinking of having her drink both green tea and carrot juice somehow

her medicare prescription baseline is $3000, and last year i didn't come close to that, around $900 for the year.

she's taking simvastatin for cholesterol, metformin for diabetes, lorsartan for blood pressure and memantatine and donzepril for alzheimer's.

one drug i was interested in is bydureon/trulicity for better blood glucose control but at $800/month, medicare negotiated price of $600, i will enter the donut hole after 4-5 months.

i'm looking at supplements like green tea and vitamins like niacin and fish oil as the other FDA drugs have failed Sad plus exorcise and social engagement.

Back to top Go down