The Unsolved Murder of JonBenet Ramsey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PETA on Alzheimer's and abortion

Go down

PETA on Alzheimer's and abortion Empty PETA on Alzheimer's and abortion

Post by redpill Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Thu May 23, 2019 7:46 pm

While researching on Alzheimer's I found this memo

NIH to Torment Marmosets in Alzheimer's Experiments: Stop This Now!

The National Institute on Aging (NIA)—part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH)—plans to torment marmoset monkeys in order to study Alzheimer's disease. It's a proposition that guarantees more taxpayer-funded cruelty, and it's absolutely doomed to fail. Here's why:

We've been down this road before, and it fails and fails and fails.
For decades, NIH has spent millions funding the torture and killing of countless animals in Alzheimer's experiments. No new drugs have been developed that cure or even slow the progression of the disease. Using animals to predict whether potential drugs to treat Alzheimer's will be safe and effective in humans has failed 99.6% of the time.
Alzheimer's disease is a human-only condition.
Humans are the only species that develops Alzheimer's disease. Experimenters inject animals with toxins, deprive their brains of oxygen, or surgically cause strokes in order to induce symptoms similar to those of Alzheimer's—but it's not the same as the human form of the disease. Plastic fruit can sure look like actual fruit, but it definitely doesn't taste the same. And you can't cure a disease by curing a symptom that kind of looks like those produced by the disease.
Life in a laboratory is hell.
Stereotypic behavior patterns—such as pacing, rocking, twisting their heads, and eating their feces—and forms of severe self-mutilation, such as biting themselves and pulling out their own hair, always follow when complex, social animals are kept in barren cages and subjected to confusing and often painful experimental procedures. Imprisoned marmosets are also prone to an ugly condition known as "marmoset wasting disease," the symptoms of which include weight loss, diarrhea, hair loss, muscle weakness, inflammation of the small and large intestines, paralysis, and death.
There are better options.
In vivo imaging in humans who suffer from or are at risk of developing Alzheimer's disease is helping researchers understand the genetic, environmental, and neurobiological underpinnings of the disease. Cutting-edge technology, including three-dimensional brains grown from human cells, are more accurate and detailed models of the disease—and they can also be used to test drug efficacy and safety. Using solid, verifiable science to study the actual disease that you're trying to cure actually yields results. Who knew?
Experiments on animals are unethical.
Humans don't have the right to treat other animals like tools to be used and thrown out. Imprisoning vulnerable and sensitive animals and experimenting on them is just wrong. Please urge NIA not to squander taxpayer dollars on cruel and worthless experiments on marmosets—and ask it to redirect funds to modern, superior, non-animal research methods instead.
ref https://support.peta.org/page/10553/action/1

this part

Experiments on animals are unethical.
Humans don't have the right to treat other animals like tools to be used and thrown out. Imprisoning vulnerable and sensitive animals and experimenting on them is just wrong. Please urge NIA not to squander taxpayer dollars on cruel and worthless experiments on marmosets—and ask it to redirect funds to modern, superior, non-animal research methods instead.

this is PETA on abortion

What is PETA’s stance on abortion?
PETA does not have a position on the abortion issue, because our focus as an organization is the alleviation of the suffering inflicted on nonhuman animals. There are people on both sides of the abortion issue in the animal rights movement, just as there are people on both sides of animal rights issues in the pro-life movement. And just as the pro-life movement has no official position on animal rights, neither does the animal rights movement have an official position on abortion.
ref https://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/what-is-petas-stance-on-abortion/

the human fetus qualified as an animal, and if PETA says humans have no right to experiment on animals, because animals have rights, then humans have no right to terminate the life of a fetus as fetus is an animal.

I have always thought it amusing Princeton philosophy professor defends animal rights, but not fetal rights, and instead thinks abortion is okay his own mother died of Alzheimer's.

I strongly suspect my mother will have passed on before any results of research on marmosets become fruitful. i still support research. I find the claims PETA makes, such as there is no similarity between human and monkey Alzheimer's to be suspect

I may favor banning research into cats and dogs though cause i like these critters

i met several women PETA animal rights activists and when i asked them about abortion, they said they are very prochoice.

so they link the oppression of animals to male chauvinism and the patriarchy, but then defend their right to kill a fetus via abortion as a right.

sounds a bit convenient i must say.

from what i read alzheimers dementia diagnosis results in death on average 4-8 years, and it seems doubtful there will be any treatment in this time frame, though some diagnosed live 20 years. if my mom lives 20 years, hopefully in her current state, then there is that chance.

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/facts-figures

others

The number of Americans living with Alzheimer's is growing — and growing fast. An estimated 5.8 million Americans of all ages have Alzheimer's.

An estimated 5.8 million Americans of all ages are living with Alzheimer's dementia in 2019. This number includes an estimated 5.6 million people age 65 and older and approximately 200,000 individuals under age 65 who have younger-onset Alzheimer's.

One in 10 people age 65 and older (10 percent) has Alzheimer's dementia.
Almost two-thirds of Americans with Alzheimer's are women.
Older African-Americans are about twice as likely to have Alzheimer's or other dementias as older whites.
Hispanics are about one and one-half times as likely to have Alzheimer's or other dementias as older whites.

As the number of older Americans grows rapidly, so too will the number of new and existing cases of Alzheimer's. By 2050, the number of people age 65 and older with Alzheimer’s dementia may grow to a projected 13.8 million, barring the development of medical breakthroughs to prevent, slow or cure Alzheimer’s disease.

Back to top Go down